Purpose and Objectives
- The purpose of the Society is to carry on business for the benefit of the community.
- The Objects of the Society are to carry on business for the benefit of the community by:
- Advancing health and saving lives
- Advancing citizenship and community development
- Providing relief to those in need because of their youth, age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantages
And the Society will achieve this through:
- increasing participation in physical activity and exercise;
- providing, or assisting in the provision of, recreation and other leisure time occupations in the interests of social welfare;
- reducing health inequalities associated with long-term physical and mental health conditions;
- building social cohesion and increasing community capacity, in particular by increasing participation by under-represented groups, such as ethnic minorities and families in poverty;
- bringing community assets and open spaces into public use and promoting investment in environmental improvement;
- facilitating more active travel through non-motorised means;
- carrying out research and strategic policy development for public health and wellbeing; and
- engaging in any activities which in the reasonable opinion of the Board are conducive, ancillary or incidental to any of the above.
You can view the TAWS Rules here
Vision, Values and Co-operative Principles
The Active Wellbeing Societies’ business will be driven by our vision and underpinned by our Core Values and Behaviours and a commitment to co-operative principles.
The Active Wellbeing Society aims to enable people and communities to get active together, making happier, healthier people and places. We work innovatively with organisations, institutions, communities and individuals to create a society where people have the autonomy, capacity, resources and skills to become the architects of their own destiny, creating and sustaining happy, healthy communities.
We are experts at delivering the necessary ‘social knitting’, using physical/social activities, that brings about sustainable societal change on a social, environmental and economic level.
The Society will abide by core values and behaviours (‘The Values’). Our Values are:
- A thought leader
- Entrepreneurial/ Opportunity aware
- Committed to justice and equality
- Demonstrating integrity
- Focussed on what works
- Solution orientated
- Passionate about making a difference
- Do the right thing for the right reason at the right time
TAWS whilst a charitable Community Benefit Society rather than a co-operative seeks to abide by and operate according to the internationally agreed principles of co-operation. The Co-op Principles are:
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Member Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training and Information
- Co-operation among Co-operatives
- Concern for the Community